Has Your Education Provider Been De-Registered?

One of the Australian government’s measures to maintain the integrity and quality of our education system is to regularly audit the many Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) operating in Australia. The government authority charged with this onerous task is the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).

But what happens if your education provider is suddenly de-registered? This is a lot more common than you may think.

What happens next?

Whenever an education provider is de-registered it must provide all of its student records to ASQA. The de-registered education provider must supply records that should include a list of the units you have completed and the marks you have achieved. ASQA holds onto these records. You are entitled to apply to ASQA for your student records, which you can then use as evidence of your studies.


The ASQA application is completed online and requires you to provide 100 points of identification. You need to know the details of your de-registered education provider and the qualification that you are completing.

What can you do to complete your studies or have your studies recognised?

Once you receive your records from ASQA you can approach another registered education provider who offers the same course and apply to enrol with the new provider. Depending on the units that you have already completed, the education provider may recognise those units and offer recognition of prior learning or RPL. You will then need to complete the outstanding units with your new education provider in order to complete your qualification.

If you completed all of your course units but the education provider was de-registered before it could issue the qualification certificate, all may not be lost. If you find yourself in this situation, you can approach another education provider with your student records and may be able to receive RPL for the entire course!

It’s important to make sure that you choose a reputable education provider at the outset. However, if you do make an unfortunate choice first time around and your education provider is de-registered, consider getting professional advice on quality alternative education providers. Completing your education with a quality provider can influence your job prospects and your future employability. It may also affect your eligibility to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485).

How do I contact ASQA?

You can find detailed information about ASQA on their website https://www.asqa.gov.au/ or you can talk to one of their representatives on the ASQA info line on 1300 701 801 between 9.00 am and 7.00 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST), Monday to Friday (dial +61 3 8613 3910 from outside Australia).

If you would like more information please Contact Us or Book an Consultation.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Call Now Button