Finding a Job in Australia as an Overseas Trained Doctor

Finding a Job in Australia as an Overseas Trained Doctor

General Practitioner – No Job Offer

In order to work in Australia as a general practitioner the steps involved are usually as follows (unless you already have a job offer):

  1. Visit the AMC website and identify your registration pathway – Competent Authority, Standard or Specialist
  2. Verify your medical qualifications through Primary Source Verification
  3. Meet the English language requirements
  4. Contact a recruitment agency or Rural Workforce Agency to find a suitable job
  5. Be offered and accept a job offer from a medical practice
  6. Apply to AHPRA for registration (which may include a PESCI to assess your clinical suitability for the job)
  7. Medical practice must submit a nomination application to the Department of Home Affairs (must be approved)
  8. Apply to the Department of Home Affairs for a visa, either on your own or with professional support (must be approved)
  9. Move to Australia or relocate to your place of work, which could be regional Australia

Rural Workforce Agencies

Rural Workforce Agencies are government funded and focus on the recruitment and retention of general practitioners in rural and remote parts of Australia. If you are interested interested in exploring your rural employment options contact a Rural Workforce Agency. The RWAs will guide you through each of the above processes.

Northern Territory

Northern Territory Primary Health Network 

New South Wales

New South Wales Rural Doctors Network


Health Workforce Queensland


Rural Workforce Agency Victoria

South Australia

Rural Doctors Workforce Agency
Telephone +61 8 8234 8277 (International) or 08 8234 8277 (in Australia)


HR+ Tasmania 

Western Australia

Rural Health West
Telephone: +61 8 6389 4500


Rural Health Workforce Australia (RHWA)
RHWA is the national body for the Rural Workforce Agencies.

Medical Recruitment Agencies

Medical recruitment agencies work on behalf of both private and public employers. They are constantly looking for appropriately qualified doctors, including overseas train doctors, to fill positions all over Australia. To work in Australia as a medical practitioner you must first secure Limited, Provisional or Specialist medical registration. Please see our Blog Registration as a Doctor in Australia for more information on the registration process for medical practitioners.

The Recruitment and Consulting Services Association of Australia & New Zealand is the leading industry and professional body for the recruitment and the human resources services sector in Australia and New Zealand. It represents over 3,800 company and individual Members.

Recruitment and Consulting Services Association Australia & New Zealand

Online Medical Journals

Medical Journal of Australia (MJA)
The MJA is an online journal produced by the Australian Medical Association. Its JobSearch feature, which allows you to search for positions in all medical fields, is powered by

Medical Observer
Medical Observer is a daily news source providing general practitioners (family physicians), prescribing specialists and senior medical officers the latest industry trends and news updates. Its jobs feature allows you to search for positions in all medical fields, is powered by

Australian Doctor
Australian Doctor is a daily news source for general practitioners and prescribing specialist also offering CDP Education courses and industry conferences to attend. Its jobs sections, allows you to search for positions in all medical fields is powered by powered by

Jobsites for Specialist Doctors

These Specialist College websites have job vacancy listings available to non-members:

The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists

The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists

The Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia

The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons

Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine

The Australian Society of Anaesthetists

Hospital Vacancies – State and Territory Governments

You can apply for hospitals jobs online through the State and Territory employment websites:

Northern Territory



Australian Capital Territory


South Australia

New South Wales

Western Australia

EasiVisa is not a medical recruitment company and we do not help doctors to find jobs in Australia* or New Zealand. We are specialist medical migration consultants and we manage the nomination and visa application processes for medical practices, hospitals, IMGs/OTDs and allied health professionals.

*EasiVisa works closely with Rural Health West. If you are an experienced general practitioner and interested in working in regional Western Australia, please feel free to send your CV to and we will be pleased to forward your CV to Rural Health West for their consideration or you can contact Rural Health West directly.

3 thoughts on “Finding a Job in Australia as an Overseas Trained Doctor

  1. In order to be eligible for work in Australia as doctor, what degree’s/certificates/qualifications must i provide?

  2. Hello,

    I am Asim Musa from India. I have passed my MBBS in 2013 and MD psychiatry in 2016. I have 3 years of experience as a consultant Psychiatrist in India. Please below resume for educational details. I am eager to work as a psychiatrist in Australia. Can you help me to find employment in Australia? What are the specialist pathway to get registration as a psychiatrist?

    Thank you

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Call Now Button