Student Visa Requirements

The Subclass 500 Student Visa is for individuals who wish to study full time at an Australian institution. Before you apply for this visa, you must first be accepted into a registered course and have been issued with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) – International students need to show that they intend to enter Australia on a temporary basis, which is done by providing a statement. Our education counsellors will help you understand what is involved and what points you need to cover.

Health Examinations – Applicants are required to meet the Australian health requirement. If you are already in Australia, you must organise your medicals with BUPA. If you need a health examination and are outside of Australia, you can find a list of approved doctors in your country here: .

Insurance – Student visa applicants are required to hold a valid Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) during their stay in Australia, not just the duration of their course. Our team is happy to get you a quote or you can take the package that is usually offered by your education provider. If you are from Norway, Sweden or Belgium, exceptions may apply.

Character Requirements – Everyone who wishes to enter Australia must be of good character and will be evaluated against the character requirements set by the government. You may also be required to provide a police clearance.

Financial Requirements – When submitting a student visa application, you may have to provide documentation to prove you have sufficient funds to pay for your studies, travel and to cover your living costs. Our team will be happy to discuss and help you with this.

English Language Requirement – You may need to provide documents to prove your English language skills. Your country of origin, where you have previously studied and your chosen course in Australia will determine the specifics of this requirement. Our team can help you determine whether you need this or not, and can suggest ways for you to improve your english if you need to.

Cost of a Student Visa

The Department of Immigration in Australia currently charges $560* when you submit an application for a student visa, regardless of the length of your course. Additional charges apply for extra applicants such as partners or children. You can find the current visa pricing table here. *All $ figures are in AUD.

Length of a Student Visa

You must enrol to study in a course for a minimum of 12 weeks to be considered for a student visa.

The duration of your visa will be impacted by the duration of your course.

  • If your course is longer than 10 months and finishes in November/December your visa will usually be granted until mid March the following year
  • If your course is longer than 10 months, you will usually receive an additional 2 months at the end of your studies
  • If your course is shorter than 10 months, you will usually receive 1 month at the end of your studies

Benefits of an Australian student visa

  • You are granted work rights of 40 hours a fortnight and unlimited hours during semester breaks. No limit if you are studying a Master’s by research or PhD
  • There is great flexibility when choosing the length of your studies. For example, you can study a diploma for 6 months or a Bachelor for 3 years. You can also combine courses such as English+diploma and receive a ‘packaged’ offer
  • Students under 18 require special arrangements but there is no age limit for a student visa
  • You may be able to add your partner to your student visa as a secondary applicant
  • Temporary Graduate Visa: you may be able to apply for an additional 18 months to 4 years if you meet the requirements.

Contact Us now to find out more

Call Now Button