Sponsored Parent (Temporary)
Subclass 870 visa
If you’ve ever thought that you’d like to stay in Australia for a few years with your children and your grandkids without needing to leave every three months, the subclass 870 might be a really good option for you! You’ll need to be offshore (not in Australia) when you submit your application (unless you’ve been granted permission to lodge the application in Australia) and you’ll need to organise private health insurance to cover the whole of your stay. The subclass 870 visa can be granted for 3 years or 5 years. Your adult child will first need to become an approved sponsor in order to sponsor you. This visa is available to parents who have children living in multiple countries and who are unable to meet the ‘Balance of Family’ test.
Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (subclass 870) visa fees
DHA First instalment: $1,020 (single) – paid at the time of application
DHA Second Instalment: $4,070 (3yr visa) – paid prior to visa grant
DHA Second Instalment: $9,160 (5yr visa) – paid prior to visa grant
What is the current processing time for a subclass 870 visa?
The Department of Home Affairs publishes the average processing times for visa applications on its website. See: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates
The processing time for the subclass 870 visa is approximately 4-5 months.
What are the requirements of the subclass 870 visa?
The applicant (parent):
- Must have a child who is an eligible Australian citizen, permanent resident, or New Zealand citizen
- Be sponsored by a person who is an approved parent sponsor
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Provide evidence of access to funds – you must be able to support yourself without working in Australia. You won’t be granted work rights.
- Provide evidence of health insurance
- Satisfy health, character, and national security requirements
Australian Child (sponsor):
- Must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen
- Must be settled in Australia (usually this means that your child must have resided in Australia for at least two years)
- Must be at least 18 years old and prepared to sponsor your application
- The parent(s) to be sponsored must be the biological, adoptive, or step-parent of the sponsor (special rules apply to step-parents)
- Must have a certain amount of household income
- Must provide police clearances for any country they have spent more than 12 months cumulatively in during the last 10 years
- Must have a certain amount of household income
- Must be willing to share character information with the visa applicant
- Sponsors must also agree to comply with certain sponsorship obligations in relation to the parent(s) they are sponsoring
Please note: You can also be sponsored by your child’s de facto partner or spouse, as long as they meet the above criteria. In some instances, if your child is under the age of 18, you may be sponsored by a relative or guardian of your child, or by a community organisation.
What is the application process for the subclass 870 visa?
Before you apply:
- Check that you have an approved Parent Sponsor. You will be unable to apply for this visa without an approved sponsor
- Check your passport – you must have a valid passport
- Make sure that you are eligible – a registered migration agent can help you to work this out
Gather your documents:
It is important to gather the correct documents required for your application. You are welcome to take a look at the EasiVisa Parent Visa Checklist which provides a guide to the types of documents required. Additional documentation may be required for your application. Each visa application is unique!
Prepare your documents:
- Make sure that you get your documents translated if they are not written in English. Australian translators must be accredited by NAATI so make sure your Australian translator is accredited: https://www.naati.com.au/. Translators outside of Australia do not need to be accredited. However, each document translated must include the following information about the translator: full name, address, phone number, qualifications and experience in the language that they are translating. These details must be in English!
- Certified copies of all documents except your police certificates. The Department of Home Affairs will require your original police certificates.
- Make sure you keep a spare set of all documents!
Apply for the visa:
- You cannot apply for or hold a permanent or temporary parent visa if you have already applied for or have been granted this visa
- You must apply for this visa online and from outside Australia and within 6 months of the Sponsorship approval.
- You must apply within 60 days of sponsorship approval, if you have been granted permission to apply in Australia.
Wait for the visa to be assessed:
- The Department of Home affairs processing team will let you know when they have received your application
- When the Department of Home Affairs makes a decision on your application, you can be inside or outside Australia (however you cannot be in immigration clearance)
- The Department of Home Affairs will provide their decision in writing
What is the age criteria to apply for an 870 visa?
There is no specific age criteria to meet when applying for a subclass 870 visa.
Am I allowed to work on a subclass 870 visa?
Absolutely NOT! You cannot work in Australia whilst you hold this visa.
What are the health and character requirements of the subclass 870 visa?
You, and all family members included in your visa application, must meet Australia’s health requirement and be of good character. You will be required to undergo visa medicals and provide police certificates for each country in which you have lived for 12 months or longer in the previous 10 years. Visa medicals and police certificates usually expire after 12 months. Police certificates from some countries expire after 3 months or 6 months.
This subclass 870 visa checklist is provided as a general guide only and must not be used as migration advice. Each parent visa application is unique. If you seek personalised advice, we recommend that you book a consultation with one of our experienced registered migration consultants.
Sponsored Parent (Temporary) (subclass 870) visa checklist:
- Appointment of Migration Agent (Form 956) (if using a migration agent)
- Sponsorship for Migration to Australia – Apply online in ImmiAccount
- Application for Parent Migration – Apply online in ImmiAccount
- Character Assessment for Applicant (Form 80)
- Passport biodata page
- Passport Photo
- Full Birth Certificate
- Marriage Certificate
- Military discharge papers, if you were in the military
- Evidence of your relationship to your sponsor
- Evidence of private health insurance
Sponsors Personal Documents
- Evidence that the Sponsor is an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate
- Adoption papers (if relevant)
- Family status certificates or family books
- ATO Notice of Assessment for the most recently completed tax year
- ATO Notice of Assessment for the most recently completed tax year for your partner or sibling, if you intend to meet the income test by combining income
- Australian and overseas police clearances
Health and Character (Applicant)
- Australian Federal Police Clearance (where relevant)
- Police Clearances Offshore
- Visa Medicals
PLEASE NOTE: The above sample Checklist includes the documents generally required in support of a subclass 870 visa application.
A modified set of documents may apply to your situation. Please remember … you are unique and your visa application will be unique to you!
It’s worthwhile seeking sound professional advice before embarking upon any type of visa application. This is particularly important for applicants with complex family situations, or significant health or character issues. Getting sound professional advice can make all the difference!
GOT ANOTHER PARENT VISA QUESTION?
You are welcome to submit your questions below …
Please add your details below if you’d like us to contact you …
or you may prefer to call us on…
+ 61 8 9429 8860
available from 9:00 – 5.00pm (AWST)
Address 803A Wellington Street, West Perth, WA. 6005
Our clients say
EasiVisa is amazing, EasiVisa have been wonderful from the start! Thank you so much EasiVisa for all your help and Ms Alicia and Mr Sam especially for the hard work, patience and hours you put in to getting my visa approved and creating a suitable pathway for me. Thank you for helping me throughout the entire process I’m truly grateful and I appreciate everything, thank you EasiVisa!!!!
Team EasiVisa is the best immigration consultant group in the country as they helped me achieve my Permanent Residency against all odds. I consulted around 20 immigration consultants around the country via phone or email, trying to explain the complexity in my case. Not many of the immigration consultants would listen to me over the phone without having a formal paid arrangement, only to repeat the same things. 2 agents suggested that I may be eligible but they did not sound very confident and were charging heavy amount for the whole process.
Then I came across EASIVISA. On my first call, I was immediately transferred to a junior consultant on the phone. On explaining my case, she further transferred me to a senior consultant Carol-Ann Lynch. I can clearly remember that day, when I spoke with Carol-Ann for around 30-45 minutes. She was so kind and patient to listen to my whole story and I instantly connected with her.
Very next day she replied back with an email explaining the 2 possible pathways. I was able to call her whenever I needed before we finalised the contract. I was very eager to start the process but instead of rushing me to sign the contract, Carol-Ann suggested me to wait until she did some more research in my case. She apparently emailed the immigration department and also used all her contacts to get as much information as possible before we started the process.
Once the contract was done my case was handled by another agent named Jenny Liu, who was even more supportive and dealt with all my queries with a lot of patience. Throughout the process, Jenny and Carol guided me at every step with all the letters and the documentation required.
The application was so well prepared that I was not asked any further documents and it got approved in record time after submission.
I cannot be thankful enough to EASIVISA for helping me achieve my peace of mind and security for my family. I am forever indebted to them.
Cheers to the team and a big THANKS !!!
Professional, great communication, super knowledgeable and always happy to help and answer questions! I had a fantastic experience! Sam was an amazing agent, I couldn’t be happier to have chosen Easi-visa.
Please read this review carefully. This is the best immigration agency you can find in AUSTRALIA! Esther is such a brilliant and an amazing migration agent. The extensive documents she requested even though we thought they were of no use, were the key to our application coming through so quickly. She regularly informed us on the status of our application and made sure the department had no chance to ask for extra information and that is exactly what happened. I am so grateful we chose this agency and I would recommend them to ANYONE pursuing ANY type of visa. Thank you so much Esther and Thank you EasiVisa!!
I am so happy I chose EasiVisa. I received invaluable advice and Sam was so incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. It would have been impossible to do it without all the assistance I received. Sam answered all my queries immediately and assisted me with my application for the entire time. Thank you so much!
Good service and great communication. We were happy to have an agent that helped us to go through the stressful process of getting my permanent visa.
Where to begin…
Very few people go through a smooth, easy visa process; and my partner and I were no exception. We were beginning to lose hope and were borderline facing deportation. We had been messed around by 3 immigration agents prior to finding Carol-Ann at EasiVisa. We were feeling very vulnerable, as truth be told, it is hard to distinguish a good or bad agent before paying a lump sum, by which point it may be too late. This is exactly why I’m providing this exceptional, glistening review of Carol-Ann and her team, to assist my fellow immigrants in their time of need.
Agreed; most immigration agents are expensive, but you get what you pay for. What makes us entitled to expert knowledge, hours of research and study, late nights at work and our problems being lifted from our shoulders; for a cheap price? We were charged $180 consultation fee which was reembursed when we committed to our case being taken on. And let me tell you, it was a complicated case. Carol-Ann immediately looked at it from a completely different perspective than the other agents. To cut a long story short; after a refusal, an appeal, a hearing, multiple exchanges of correspondence, references, police clearances…the visa was finally granted. And you cannot put a price on that!
The result alone is enough to recommend Carol-Ann, but it doesn’t stop there. The way she treated us was exceptional. She was empathetic, saw us as actual people rather than a briefcase of money, and made us feel reassured; in a situation that would put anyone’s sanity to the test.
WOW, what a long review! And probably only the 3rd I’ve ever done in my lifetime. In summary, this review has 2 purposes. One, to urge you to chose EasiVisa as your representative, a decision you will not regret. And Two, to give Carol-Ann and her team the recognition they deserve!
EasiVisa have been wonderful from the start! Professional and caring, Thank you EasiVisa for all your help and Sam especially for the hard work and hours you put in to getting my visa approved 🙂 always being just an email or phone call away for all the questions I had. Your support through out the entire process has been amazing.
Sam and the team really went above and beyond to get my challenging visa successfully processed. Their knowledge, expertise and passion is second to none! I really can’t recommend highly enough!
Thank you Sam and Alicia!