Partner Visa Australia Checklist (Subclass 300)

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Partner Visa Australia Checklist

Subclass 300 (Fiancé Visa)

Hutt Lagoon, near Port Gregory
Photo Credit: Tourism, Western Australia.

If you are engaged to an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an Eligible New Zealand citizen, the Prospective Marriage Visa (subclass 300) allows you to come to Australia to marry your partner. This visa is granted for 9 months and once you are married to your partner sponsor you can submit an onshore partner visa application.

Join our
Partner Visa Facebook Group to ask questions about Partner Visas:


Subclass 300 partner visa – am I eligible to apply for this visa?

If you are engaged to an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an Eligible New Zealand citizen you may well be eligible to apply for this visa if you are over 18 years of age and have actually met your sponsor/fiancé(e) in person.

What is the prospective marriage visa process to permanent residency?

Once you are granted a 300 visa you can travel to Australia, marry your partner and lodge a partner visa onshore.

What happens after I apply for the Prospective Marriage visa subclass 300?

The subclass 300 visa rules require you to be overseas (outside of Australia) when your 300 visa application is lodged and overseas when your visa is decided. This means that there is no associated bridging visa. You can either wait overseas until the Department makes a decision on your application or you can consider applying for a visitor visa in order to spend time in Australia with your partner during the assessment period. The COVID-19 pandemic is making it difficult for people to obtain visitor visas.

How long will it take for a decision to be made on my Prospective Marriage visa application?

The Department of Home Affairs publishes the average processing times for visa applications on its website. See – Applicants who submit a top quality visa application will usually have their visa granted much faster than an applicant who provides insufficient documents and information. It’s important to give your prospective marriage visa application your very best shot if you want the visa granted as quickly as possible. 

Am I eligible for Medicare on this visa?

Unless you come from a country that has a reciprocal healthcare agreement with Australia, you should consider arranging private health insurance to cover your time in Australia as you will not be entitled to Medicare until you have lodged a partner visa application (which will be an 820 visa).

Can I visit my partner whilst the prospective marriage visa is being processed?

It is possible for applicants to apply for a visitor visa to come to Australia and spend time with their Australian partner. However, the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting heavily on visitor visa applications and many applications are being refused.

Once my subclass 300 visa has been granted, how much time do I have to enter Australia?

A subclass 300 visa is granted for 9 months only. This means that once your visa is granted, you will have 9 months to travel to Australia, get married and apply for an onshore partner visa.  

What are the health and character requirements for a prospective marriage visa?

You must meet the Department’s health and character requirements in order to be granted this visa. You will be required to undergo visa medicals as well as providing police clearances from each country where you have spent 12 months in the past 10 years. If you have health issues or police convictions, consider obtaining professional advice from a registered migration agent on whether your health condition and/or conviction might result in your visa application being refused.

Can I include family members in my visa application?

You may be able to include your dependent children in your application. Generally, ‘dependent children’ must be under 18 years of age, but there are certain circumstances where children over 18 years of age can be included. If you wish to include your “adult” children in your partner visa application, you may wish to consider obtaining professional advice from a registered migration agent to find out whether your child or children can be included. The rules around including children in a visa application can be more complicated than they seem.

Some of my documents are not in English, how do I go about adding these to my application?

The Department of Home Affairs requires you to provide copies of your original documents (that are written in a language other than English) PLUS the NAATI or accredited English translations. 

Do all my documents need to be certified?

Certified copy documents are no longer required. The Department of Home Affairs now accepts quality scanned colour copies (or quality mobile phone photographs) of your original documents. 

What if my circumstances change?

If there are any material changes to your circumstances (change of address, change of passport, change of phone number etc.) after you have lodged your partner visa application, you are obliged to notify the Department as soon as possible. You can either complete a Form 1022 Notification of Changes Circumstances and send it to the Department or you can simply update your details in ImmiAccount. Form 1022 can be downloaded here:

Our Partner Visa questionnaire can help you find out if you could be eligible to apply for a Subclass 300 visa

Take our free
Partner visa eligibility test

Click Here


This 300 Partner Visa checklist is provided as a general guide only and must not be used as migration advice. Each partner visa application is unique. If you seek personalised advice, we recommend that you book a consultation with one of our experienced registered migration consultants.  

Prospective Marriage Visa Subclass 300 (Fiancé Visa Checklist)

Required Forms

  • Form 80 – Character Assessment of Applicant (also required for accompanying dependent children aged 16 years and over)
  • At least 2 Statutory Declarations by third parties supporting your relationship (Form 888). We recommend providing 4 to 6 Form 888s.

Personal Documents

  • Passport biodata page for the Applicant
  • Full Birth Certificate of the Applicant (“Full” means – showing the names of both parents)
  • Notice of Intention to Marry
  • Evidence that you and your fiancé(e) know each other and have met physically
  • Evidence that you and your fiancé(e) are in a genuine relationship and will live together once you are married, such as:
    • A statement or statutory declaration regarding the history of your relationship
    • Other evidence of your relationship

Additional Documents for Dependent Children

  • Parental responsibility documents permitting children under 18 years of age to migrate to Australia (where relevant)
  • Adoption papers for children (where relevant)
  • Where your child is aged 18 years over, make sure they can be included in your application! Special rules apply.
  • Form 80 for dependent children aged 16 years and over.
  • Australian Federal Police Clearance for dependent children aged 16 years and over
  • Offshore Police Clearances for dependent children aged 16 years and over

Sponsors Personal Documents 

  • Passport biodata page for the Sponsor
  • Passport Photo x2 of the Sponsoring Partner
  • Full Birth Certificate of the Sponsor (“Full” means – showing the names of both parents)
  • Evidence that the sponsor is an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen
  • Australian Federal Police Clearance – Sponsor
  • Offshore Police Clearances (where relevant)

Health and Character

    • Australian Federal Police Clearance (where applicable)
    • Offshore Police Clearance(s) 
    • Visa medicals 


You are welcome to submit your questions below …

Please add your details below if you’d like us to contact you …

or you may prefer to call us on…

+ 61 8 9429 8860

available from 9:00 – 5.00pm (AWST)

Address 803A Wellington Street, West Perth, WA. 6005


Our clients say

“I highly recommend EasiVisa! We submitted our partnership visa application with Sam, who was always really helpful and supportive with us (imagine, I sent the guy like a thousands emails and he replied them all!), making the whole process stress free. We trusted 100% in Sam and the BEST PART: we got our visa approved it 11 months!! So if you need a reliable agency, you need to go to EasiVisa!
Special thanks to you Sam! Now we can enjoy :)”
“The team at EasiVisa have been nothing short of outstanding! My partner and I have spent the last three years figuring out our visa and navigating the requirements but knowing that these guys had our back and were in our corner, sharing their guidance and advice at each step, was a huge weight off our shoulders. We are now celebrating our way to PR. I can not recommend these lovely folks enough. They’re warm, friendly, responsive, so knowledgeable and genuinely support their customers and clients through what can be, a super stressful process. We were so lucky to have found them and their advice and proactivity has been second to none.”
EasiVisa have been wonderful from the start! Professional and caring, Thank you EasiVisa for all your help and Sam especially for the hard work and hours you put in to getting my visa approved 🙂 always being just an email or phone call away for all the questions I had. Your support through out the entire process has been amazing.
“Sam is absolutely brilliant. He provided great service in my visa application. Very patient, professional and genuine. I could not recommend him enough!”
Thank you, thank you, eleventy billion times thank you. My partner and I were completely flustered and floundering in the piles of forms, which were swelling up around us. In just one hour, Carol-Ann was able to calm the seas of sheets and set us on a better charted course. Her professional expertise and soothing demeanor are above reproach. We highly recommend booking an appointment to help with ANY Visa questions. Huzzah!

Call Now Button