My Big Fat Greek Work and Holiday visa!

From the 1st of July 2019, Greek citizens will be able to apply for a Work and Holiday visa (subclass 462) to come to Australia. The Australian government announced an extension to the Work and Holiday program to citizens of Greece as part of a reciprocal arrangement between the two countries – so Greeks can expect to see a lot more Aussies after the 1st of July! Each year there will be 500 Work and Holiday visas available to applicants who apply using a Greek passport.  


Is the ‘Work and Holiday visa’ the same as a ‘Working Holiday visa’?

No, these visas are different and yet they are both part of Australia’s “Working Holiday-Maker Program”. The W&HV is only available to citizens of certain specified countries (Greece is now a specified country) and the WHV is only available to citizens of other specified countries. They are very similar, but there are some important differences, especially when it comes to applying for a second or third visa, so make sure that you are looking at the requirements for the correct visa!

What can I do on a Work and Holiday visa?

On a W&HV you can stay in Australia for up to 12 months. As the name suggests you can work in Australia and you can travel. There is a lot of Australia to see! You can also study for up to four months. Lots of W&HV holders study some English whilst they are here. W&HVs are granted with a condition that prohibits the visa holder from working for the same employer for more than six months – although there are some exceptions to this rule, which include agricultural work for an agricultural employer. There is also the possibility of obtaining a second and a third W&HV, which means that you could stay in Australia for up to three years in total! The primary purpose of the Working Holiday-Maker Program is to facilitate cultural exchange, but there is no doubt a lot of our Aussie citizens first arrived in Australia on a W&HV or WHV.


What are the main requirements for a Work and Holiday visa?

The main requirements include:

  • Between 18 and 30 years old
  • Be a genuine visitor with your principal purpose being to spend a holiday in Australia
  • Have enough funds to support yourself while you are in Australia and for your travel fare home (approximately $5,000 AUD)
  • If you are applying for your First W&HV – not have previously entered Australia on a W&HV or WHV
  • Either hold or be studying towards tertiary qualifications
  • Provide a letter of support from an approved nominated agency (First W&HV only – for certain countries only)
  • Second or Third W&HV – completed specified work (see below)
  • Have ‘Functional English’
  • Meet health and character requirements

How can I get a second and a third Work and Holiday visa?

In order to get your Second W&HV, you must complete 3 months (88 days) of ‘specified work’. From the 1st of July 2019, you will be able to qualify for a Third W&HV by completing another 6 months of ‘specified work’ during the Second W&HV … in:

  • Tourism and Hospitality – ‘Northern Australia’
  • Fishing and Pearling – ‘Northern Australia’
  • Tree farming and felling – ‘Northern Australia’
  • Plant and animal cultivation (farm work, fruit/vegetable picking, etc) – Regional postcodes


The Australian government defines ‘Northern Australia’ and ‘Regional Australia’ by postcode: (bottom of the page)

Contact Us now to find out more

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Call Now Button